Journeys Out of the Body is the first book in Robert Monroe‘s Journeys trilogy.
The book describes Robert Monroe’s own personal journeys to different realms. It is a very inspirational read. Beginners especially would benefit from reading about out of body experiences to keep their interest strong until their first successes.
The method used by Robert Monroe to prepare for astral projection is summarized in the following “Sutras.”
- Loosen any clothes you may be wearing. Keep covered so that you feel just slightly warmer than is generally comfortable for you. Remove any jewelry or metal objects close to or touching your skin.
- Darken the room enough to ensure that no light can be seen through your eyelids. Do not use a completely blacked-out room.
- Lie down, in whatever position is most conductive to your state of relaxation, but with your body along a north-south axis, with your head to magnetic north.
- Mentally repeat five times, “I will consciously perceive and remember all that I encounter during this relaxation period. I will recall in detail when I am completely awake only those matters that will be beneficial to my physical and mental being.”
- As you become relaxed and start to drift off into sleep, hold your mental attention on something, anything, with your eyes closed.
- Do not think of anything, but remain poised between wakefulness and sleep. Simply look through your closed eyes at the blackness ahead of you.
- Begin breathing through your half-opened mouth.
- Look first into the blackness at a spot a foot away from your forehead. Now move your point of concentration to three feet away, and then six feet. Hold for a while until the point is firmly established. From there, turn the point 90 degrees upward, on a line parallel to the body axis and reaching out above the head. Reach for the vibrations at that spot. When you find them, mentally pull them back into your head. Once you have learned the process, or the concept, it will not be necessary to go through the entire routine. You need only to think of the vibrations while in a relaxed state and they come into being.
- First, mentally “direct” the vibrations into a ring, or force them all into your head. Then mentally push them down along your body to your toes, then back up to your head. Start them sweeping in a wave over your body rhythmically, from head to toes and then back again. After you have given the wave momentum, let it proceed of its own accord until it fades away. It should take about ten seconds–five down, five back–for the wave to make the complete circuit, from head to toes and back. Practice this until the vibration wave begins instantly upon mental command, and moves steadily until fade-out.