Journeys Out of the Body is the first book in Robert Monroe‘s Journeys trilogy.
The book describes Robert Monroe’s own personal journeys to different realms. It is a very inspirational read. Beginners especially would benefit from reading about out of body experiences to keep their interest strong until their first successes.
The method used by Robert Monroe to prepare for astral projection is summarized in the following “Sutras.”
- Loosen any clothes you may be wearing. Keep covered so that you feel just slightly warmer than is generally comfortable for you. Remove any jewelry or metal objects close to or touching your skin.
- Darken the room enough to ensure that no light can be seen through your eyelids. Do not use a completely blacked-out room.
- Lie down, in whatever position is most conductive to your state of relaxation, but with your body along a north-south axis, with your head to magnetic north.
- Mentally repeat five times, “I will consciously perceive and remember all that I encounter during this relaxation period. I will recall in detail when I am completely awake only those matters that will be beneficial to my physical and mental being.”
- As you become relaxed and start to drift off into sleep, hold your mental attention on something, anything, with your eyes closed.
- Do not think of anything, but remain poised between wakefulness and sleep. Simply look through your closed eyes at the blackness ahead of you.
- Begin breathing through your half-opened mouth.
- Look first into the blackness at a spot a foot away from your forehead. Now move your point of concentration to three feet away, and then six feet. Hold for a while until the point is firmly established. From there, turn the point 90 degrees upward, on a line parallel to the body axis and reaching out above the head. Reach for the vibrations at that spot. When you find them, mentally pull them back into your head. Once you have learned the process, or the concept, it will not be necessary to go through the entire routine. You need only to think of the vibrations while in a relaxed state and they come into being.
- First, mentally “direct” the vibrations into a ring, or force them all into your head. Then mentally push them down along your body to your toes, then back up to your head. Start them sweeping in a wave over your body rhythmically, from head to toes and then back again. After you have given the wave momentum, let it proceed of its own accord until it fades away. It should take about ten seconds–five down, five back–for the wave to make the complete circuit, from head to toes and back. Practice this until the vibration wave begins instantly upon mental command, and moves steadily until fade-out.
Read more in Robert Monroe’s Journeys Out of the Body (available on Amazon.com)
Here’s another version of Robert Monroe’s technique for triggering out-of-body experiences:
- First lie down in a darkened room in a relaxing position.
- Loosen your clothing and remove all jewelry.
- Enter into a very relaxing state and consciously tell yourself that you will remember everything that happens at this time.
- Begin breathing through your half-open mouth.
- Concentrate on an object.
- When other images start to enter your mind, passively watch them.
- Try to clear your mind and observe your field of vision through your closed eyes.
- Do nothing more for a while.
- Simply look through your closed eyelids at the blackness in front of you.
- After a while, you may notice light patterns.
- When these cease, a state of such relaxation will happen that you lose all awareness of the body.
- You are almost in the state where your only source of stimulation will be your own thoughts.
- It is this relaxed and refreshed condition where out-of-body journeys are triggered.
- To leave your body, think of yourself getting lighter and of how nice it would be to float upwards.
Robert Monroe also wrote two additional, far out books, which I highly recommend for adapt projectors.
If you’re interested in how post-death life would look like or curious regarding other realities coexisting with our own, then you will love Far Journeys. The descriptions you will read (or listen) here were composed by a person who experienced those realities firsthand through his astral journeys in the dream world.
This is not an easy read, but it is fascinating. Far Journeys is highly technical since Robert Monroe had to create new terms to describe his otherworldly experiences.
If you successfully read Robert Monroe’s first two books, you may be ready for his third, Ultimate Journey. In this book he describes his out-of-body experiences in the physical universe and other dimensions, drawing profound realizations, conclusions, and insights regarding the nature of existence from those travels and communications.